menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

Fun with Owls!

The kids had so much fun learning about owls this week.  Their excitement was so contagious that when I was observed this week (we don't know ahead of time when our administrators are coming they just pop in and do our formal observations unnanounced) my assistant principal didn't want to leave!  The kids were teaching him lots of cool facts about owls! 
Here are two of our charts that we made this week.  They say... Owls have....   and  Owls are.... we also made one that said Owls can...   We used shared writing to record the information we learned on the charts. 



The kids made their own Owl Tree Maps based on the information we learned.  There were lots of resources around the room to use.  The most helpful resource of course were our huge owl charts.  :)


This is our owl poem that we did this week. 


       The kids were given a mixed up version of the poem and they put it in the correct order and glued it to     paper.
Our book for Shared Reading was a book I wrote called, Go To Sleep Owl  we read it on the smartboard each day and did lots of word work.  I printed out a few copies of the book and word and picture cards so that the kids could rebuild the story during literacy centers.


This is our adorable owl book we made this week.  Each day I gave them a scrambled sentence which related to something we had learned the day before.  They unscrambled the sentence, glued it in their book and illustrated it.  Using scrambled sentences is a great way to discuss sentence structure... a sentence starts with a capital, has spaces between the words and ends with punctuation.  They can use these clues  along with getting their mouth ready to say the first sound to help them figure out the order of the words in the sentence.


 This sentence says, Owls are excellent hunters.  The illustration shows all of the characteristics that owls possess that help them hunt.  Sharp tallons, great eyesight, etc:
A few examples from our Morning Messages.


Dissecting owl pellets to see what the Barn owls ate.  The kids LOVED this Scientific investigation.

   Poor Ollie!  I don't think he enjoyed hearing us talk about some of the types of animals owls eat.  He was a little nervous when he found out he was on the list.  :)
We used owl manipulatives and work mats to find out how many different ways we could make five.

One of our math journals.



My entire owl unit is posted on Teachers Pay Teachers. 
Click on the picture to view the unit.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Owls-Math-and-Literacy-Activities

Have a Great Week!
Deanna

11 comments:

  1. GIRLFRIEND...I am in LOVE!!!!! Your activities are amazing!!! Thank you for sharing your ideas! Love this darling unit!! Thank you!!

    Cara :)
    http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Everything is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! The buzz book and journals are fabulous! Very creative stuff going on in your room. I'm inspired! :)

    http://discoveriesofateacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I bought your owl unit and am looking forward to doing it next week!
    By the way, where did you get the cute polka-dot paper for your owls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,
    Thank you for the compliment. I'm so glad you like the unit. The polka dot paper is 12x12 scrapbook paper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy this unit! I just wish that my track is on track for the month of October (I'm in a year round), but hey- who said Owls are for October!?
    www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this unit from TPT, and I love it! Can you tell me where you got the owl clip art that you use on the cover and on the owl tree map? I looked on both digiwebstudio and thistlegirl (I have a membership) but cannot find it. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dana,
    The owl is from clipart.com
    I'm glad you like the unit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your owls are darling!!! I think we might need to learn about OWLS too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to find your Fun With Owls unit through your link to Teachers Pay Teachers, but could not find that unit, even when I sorted alphabetically. Searching by key word was not an option. I would really like to buy it, can you post a better way to find it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. here's the link:
    Sorry about that!

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Owls-Math-and-Literacy-Activities

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...