Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Fun!

Do you ever have one of those weeks where you feel like you haven't accomplished a lot? 
Well.. this has been one of those weeks for me!  We've been so busy practicing for our Gingerbread Man play that we haven't had time to do a lot of the things I had planned.  But we are having fun!!

Here are some of the things we've done so far.
We read,  If I Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620 .  We are charting some of the things we are learning on our Mayflower Voyage tree map.  I hope to finish it tomorrow.



The kids made their own Mayflower and unscrambled a sentence.

                                                                    
                                                                    Turkey Glyphs!



Since this was posted this Turkey Glyph has been reworked and it now includes recording sheets, patterns and a much cuter turkey.  You can view the materials by clicking on the pictures below.



         We did a fun family project.  Each family was given a turkey to disguise so that he wouldn't be eaten on Thanksgiving Day!  Here are a few of the turkeys.  So adorable!                                                




 Each year around Halloween we read, Pumpkin Jack.
Then, we carve a pumpkin and place him on top of soil and watch him decompose just like he does in the story.  EWWWW!  Yes, it is kind of gross...but it is also really cool!   This is how Pumpkin Jack looked on November 2nd.
This was Pumpkin Jack last week.   You can see he is getting a little moldy and shrinking.


Turkey Strut Math fact books. 


I will post more pictures Friday.
Have a great week!

P.S. The Gingerbread Man Unit was posted tonight.  If you're interested here's the link.




8 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE your Mayflower tree map. Unfortunately I KNOW I will not have time this year. I will have to do that one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gingerbread unit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you tell me more about the Gingerbread Man Play? Is it part of the Gingerbread Unit??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gingerbread Man play is from Heidi Butkus at Heidisongs.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I purchased your Simple Science unit off teachers pay teachers, as well as some of your other units. You have some great stuff!! I did not do the Pumpkin Jack experiment this year, but I am very interested for next year. I am just curious. Do you keep it in your classroom? If so, does it get stinky?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I place the pumpkin in an airtight container so that it won't smell. :) I hope you enjoy the unit! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great! I will be making these next Thanksgiving with my 1st graders! Love your ideas.

    -Rachelle
    www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get the cute turkey template?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover