Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gingerbread Play, Nutcrackers, Elfs and Ornaments!

My class performed, The Gingerbread Man which is an awesome play written by Heidi Butkus.  It is the perfect play for young kids.  The songs are easy to learn and the play is so stinking cute! I LOVE it!
Heidi also has other plays that are awesome.  She has The Mitten and The Wide Mouthed Bullfrog. 
We are going to perform The Wide Mouthed Bullfrog in the spring.  I have never been able to find plays that are more appropriate for young kids.  I can't say enough about them! http://www.heidisongs.com/
I can't show pictures of my little sweeties but I thought I'd share pictures of our props and costumes.

This is the stage.  Our props include an oven, a bridge for the Gingerbread Man to stand on and a Gingerbread House.  On each side of the Gingerbread House you can see the Christmas Tree costumes.  These costumes have to be put on once everyone is on stage and in place because they are too cumbersome to walk in.


This is our oven.  I love the "Dr. Seussical" Look

This is what it looks like when you open the oven doors.  The inside is painted black and the back of the oven is a black curtain.  The inside is large enough for our gingerbread girl to hide inside.
The little boy and girl put this "cookie" inside the oven and close the doors.  Once the doors close the Gingerbread girl who is hiding behind the oven lifts up the curtain, removes the cookie and sneaks inside.  Imagine the audiences surprise when the little boy and little girl open the oven and the Gingerbread Girl jumps out!

This is the costume that the Gingerbread Girl wears.

                                                                This is the fox costume.
This is the costume for the little pigs.  (we added this character to the play)

This is the costume for the bears.

This is the costume for the little girl.

This is the costume for the Christmas Tree.

The characters also include a little boy, old woman, old man and farmers. 
I didn't take pictures of their costumes for some reason.  :(

                                          Our lolipop and peppermint Christmas tree for the stage.


A close up of one of the lollipops.  The kids made these by painting chinette plates and adding glitter.
We then added a paint stick, cellophane and ribbon.



A close up of the letters.  These were made using styrofoam board, paint and glitter.


That's it for the play!

Here are some things we did in our classroom.  We made elves and wrote Elf To-Do lists.



Cute Santas made from shapes.  The face is a small paper plate.


We did a directed drawing of a nutcracker and then measured them with pattern blocks.



                                          We made all of these ornaments in small group rotations.

                                                 Santa ornaments made with our handprints.




Reindeer ornaments using our thumbprints.


Monogrammed ornaments.  The kids painted polka dots using a paint pen and then I added a sticker for their name.


Snowman ornaments.  We added little styrofoam balls to the inside of the balls and then the kids used a paint pen to add the snowman face.  They chose the color for their earmuffs and then we hot glued them on.  These turned out so cute!




These balls turn out beautiful.  The picture does not to do them justice.  To make these balls you need several different colors of glitter, tacky glue (that isn't water proof), a medicine cup and a microwave.
Add some glue to the medicine cup and heat it for 7 seconds.  Add a little bit of water to thin the glue and pour it into the glass ornaments (this should be enough for two ornaments).  Have the kids swirl the glue around to coat the inside of the ornament.  Then, have them choose 2 or 3 colors of glitter.  Add the glitter and then have them swirl it around until the entire inside of the ornament is covered.  Add the top and voila!



I'm working on my Snowman unit and my Penguin unit and I hope to have them posted to Teachers Pay Teachers by Tuesday!

13 comments:

  1. WOW! That oven is amazing! All your activities are SO CUTE! I really love the elves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! So very cute! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!!! I love the ornaments too! Everything you do is just adorable.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna, Thanks for sharing! As always your work is amazing! I can NOT wait for the snowman and penguin units!!! Do you have an elf unit???

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your ornament ideas! So cute...
    Did you just buy empty glass bulbs?
    Also, I love the font you used for the student's names under the elf...where did you download that font?
    I love checking your blog! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I used the empty glass bulbs. They are so cheap because Hobby Lobby almost always has them on sale at 50% off!
    The font is an alphabet called
    Kids Christmas - you can purchase it by clicking on the pink box at the top right of my blog. The box says 9 free fonts. If you decide to make a purchase please use the link because I earn points. :) Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love the ornaments!! What did you use for the fingerprint reindeer ornament? I would like to borrow that idea for my own boys this year & my class next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We made the snowman glass bulb ornaments one year and we filled them with recycled white paper shred. They were really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Gingerbread Man play! I would love to do that with my class. I do a big GBM unit every Christmas. Lovely ornaments as well! Thanks for linking up with TBA's Christmas Craft Linky Party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ornaments are all SO cute! Do you mind sharing how you did your rotation? Was it built into your normal literacy centers or was it a special day with parent volunteer rotations or something? Thanks so much for your wonderful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you mind sharing with me how/where you got the information to do the directed drawing of the nutcracker? Thanks you, Cassie
    cpulliam@leedsk12.org

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute ornaments!! There is a glue, I think it's called glitter it? and it does the same thing and would be quicker than heating up the tacky glue :) I know you can get it at Michaels. I made some this year and it was super easy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover