menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

Snowman Fun!


We only had a four day week because Monday was a teacher work day.  The kids were so excited to be back and we had lots of fun with snowmen.  I kept forgetting to take my camera to school.  GRRRRR!  I get so aggravated when I do that!  Here are some of the things we did that I took a picture of. 
We read the book from my Snowman unit and circled the popcorn words and looked for chunks in words.


We read the story, Snowmen All Year .We did a directed drawing and painted snowmen and wrote about the adventures we would have with our snowman if he stayed all year.




Before we began the drawing I folded the 12x18 construction paper to help them determine how big to draw each part.  The top section is the smallest part (hat) and the bottom section is the largest.


I had them draw the snowmen step by step with a black crayon.
We read the book,  The Snowglobe Family and made snowglobes and wrote about living in a snowglobe.
This one says, If I lived in a snowglobe I would have a snowball fight. 

This one says, If I lived in a snowglobe I would live with a penguin.

This is one of the pages from our How to Build a Snowman book.

 Adorable Snowman Cupcakes!  SnOw YUMMY!

Snowman Glyph



Here are some free snowman downloads this week!

My Snowman unit on Teachers Pay Teachers this unit is full of lots of fun stuff!
If you've purchased this unit please leave feedback!

I've had a lot of people email me asking me for the Reading Strategy Posters that I have in my classroom.
I can't sell them because they include dj inkers clip art  and because they aren't my original idea. But, I can share them for free! 



Coming next week.... one of my FAVORITE units!  Penguins! 

Smiles,
Deanna


15 comments:

  1. We have been busy all week doing lessons from your snowman unit and my class really enjoyed them, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I've been a little worried all week because next week I will start my snowman activities and ididnt know what I would do with my 4 second graders I had my kinder kids an first grader set but nothing would come to me for my second graders. However, you've given me a stroke of genius. I am going to adjust your "If I lived in a snowglobe" activity and make it a longerwriting activity for those students. Thanks your an inspiration.

    I have a penguine alphabet strip on my blog of your interested check it out. It's something you can add to your penguine fun next week.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the snowmen and the snowglobe idea! Precious!

    --Sarah
    www.firstgraderatlast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your reading strategies display! Everything is super cute!

    kinder-pond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using these reading strategies for the past three years...and what a difference it makes! Students respond to cute associations more often than anything else! I am glad that you've shared them here for others to benefit. I have a picture of my strategy wall at http://firstgradefactory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a new follower to your blog, and I have to say...I am looking at all the things you do with your class and it makes me a bit jealous!! I am a first year teacher and have an urge to teach the way you do! I unfortunately work in a school that doesn't seem to embrace this style of teaching. It has been a tough year, but I am looking at your blog, as well as many others, to try and gain new ideas that can hopefully make my next year of teaching a little better! Thank you for your creativity and for sharing it with others! It is teachers like you who keep me excited about what I love doing! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started browsing teacher blogs to gain ideas since I will be teaching Kindergarten for the first time in my six years of teaching 1st grade. I must say I loooove your blog!!! Where do you get your cute graphics from??? Thank you for sharing your great ideas. I will continue to follow your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! You have so many great ideas. I want to try beanie baby reading strategies with my kindergarteners this year. I have seen many posts about them. I LOVE your posters. I have found two other strategies that I would like to use too - Helpful Kangaroo (Ask for help) & Lips the Fish (Get your lips ready to make the first sound). Do you use these two strategies with your students? How do you intro these strategies during the year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Atkins, When I started using these I did away with the lips the fish strategy because I felt like there were way too many strategies and my kindergarten kids were getting overwhelmed. Stretchy snake fits that strategy because they have to stretch the sounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog and have purchased some of your units and math journal prompts on TPT! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas. I just recently put up a bulletin board using these reading strategies. Can you give me an example for Flippy the Dolphin?

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Deanna! I agree it is a lot of strategies. In my district we use the get your lips ready strategy in K. I will probably not teach a few of the others. I want to make a lips the fish and helpful kangaroo poster. I want them to match yours. What font did you use and where did you get the checkered border from? Also how do you intro these strategies to your students? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just made your snow globe activity at home after Kindergarten this week and blogged about it. Thanks for the idea. We'd love for you to see all the things we're up to in our Afterschool Express.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! We painted the snowman from Deep Space Sparke (not sure if that's where you got your idea?) and did your writing prompt with our kiddos. SO cute! Thanks for sharing. Blogged about it here http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/01/afterschool-express-winter-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the wonderful snow globe idea! So cute. I did the Deep Space Sparkle, last year. They turn out so wonderful...no matter the skill of the artist!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you tell me the font name and boarder name on the reading strategies posters?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...