menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

Teacher Talk Tuesday

The theme for today on Blog Hoppin' is Teacher advice. 
The best piece of advice I can give is NEVER stop learning.  Two of my favorite books are by Debbie Miller.  When you read her books it feels like you are chatting with a friend.  A very knowledgeable friend.  I love these books so much!  My copies are dog-eared, hi-lighted and tattered. 

Chapter 3 of Teaching with Intention starts with this insight from Debbie Miller,
"I believe that classroom environments are the most effective when they are literate and purposeful, organized and accessible, and, most of all, authentic." 
That is so TRUE!!!  Don't rush out and spend money on premade bulletin boards and charts for your classroom.  Your walls should be covered with student work and charts that were made with them to anchor the learning. 


Another piece of advice is this.... If you need help ask for it and if you see someone who needs help give it!We have the wonderful opportunity to help not only our students but each other. 
Smile even if you don't feel like it.  
Look for the positive in every situation. 
One of my friends recently posted on facebook that she was having a terrible day. 
She posted that it was only 9 a.m. and she had already spilled coffee on her shirt, been late to work
and ran over a squirrel!  My comment back?   Just be thankful that you weren't the squirrel! 
Can I get an Amen?  :)

                                                              







19 comments:

  1. Amen!

    I totally agree with you. Teachers have to be willing and committed to being life long learners. It is what makes a good teacher into an great teacher!
    Curls and a Smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two books were given to me before my first year of teaching, and they are filled with so much wisdom! They are great advice for new teachers. As always, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!
    You know for the most part I'm pretty happy-go-lucky, but every now and then my biorhythm is a little off. When I walk into my classroom, it all goes away. School is just as safe and warm to me, as it is for my kiddos. Enjoy life!

    BTW: Thank you so much for introducing me to Pete the Cat. WE LOVE HIM!! I'm walking along singing his song. He is my hero. I think I may read his story every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-Men! HAHA That is hilarious! Thanks for the advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Needed the laugh... I totally agree with the co-created anchor charts. They mean so much more to the students when they were invested in the creation of them.

    Poor squirrel :-(
    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! The squirrel comment totally made me laugh! But you're absolutely right...we need to look for the positive in every situation. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - LOVE the squirrel! And I LOVE Debbie Miller - my partner introduced me to her two years ago - she has taken over my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN Sister!! I love Debbie Miller books!! I think I have purchased almost all of them. AMEN to our rooms should be a display of our students' work. Thanks so much for the great advice!! Have a great school year!
    http://rd-busybees.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, that squirrel is the best! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your sound posters that I saw on thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com. Where can I find them?

    Thank you,
    Janice jskimom1@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning 5 years ago and it changed my life. I love that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your word chunk posters on The First Grade Parade Blog and loved them. Would you be able to post all of them again? I would appreciate it!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog. Debbie Miller is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog and your created themes. Thank you for sharing. It is a gift to be so created.
    tab

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for all you do,,,,love your items! How do you find all the free time to create all this?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...