menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

Gingerbread Fun and Freebies


 These are our Gingerbread glyphs.  Aren't they cute?  I love activities that incorporate reading, math AND fun!  The kids cut all of their own pieces so they all turn out unique.  

This is the book that goes along with the glyph.  






If you've already purchased my Gingerbread Unit then you want to head back over and grab the extra pages that I'm adding.  I added the glyph book and all of the directions to the packet.  (If you're reading this shortly after I posted then you'll need to give me about 30 minutes to get this finished and added to the packet).  

THINK MATH!  Oh, my word I can't even tell you how much we love doing Think Math.  
I love it because it gives every single little friend a chance to contribute at their own level of thinking.
You can see the variety of answers on the chart.  One other thing that I have built into this activity is Give me a number.  If I call on a little friend they know that they don't have to worry.  If they are stuck they can ask me to give them a number and I will give them a number to get them started.  For example, if I have a little one who I know doesn't have a clue I would give him the number 4.  That way he only has to know that you add one more to get 5.  His little face lights up as he shouts out , "4+1=5".  Success!


My original intent for this Bubble Map was for it to be about the cookie we just ate.  So the chart was originally titled Gingerbread Bubble Map.   As we were brainstorming adjectives to describe the cookie one of my little smarties said, "trusting."  When I asked her to explain her answer she said, "Well he was way too trusting.  He shouldn't have trusted the fox because he has sharp teeth and crazy eyes."  Oh. my word y'all!  Isn't that smart?  I just love when the unexpected happens.  So this of course was the perfect time to teach them about using a carrot when you need to insert information.  Thus, the rather messy looking chart below where I had to use a carrot to add the word Man to the chart.  After that discussion another child said, "Yeah, he was so foolish!"  I die.  :)

We read a lot of versions of the Gingerbread Man and keep a journal of the different endings.
Here are a few examples from The Gingerbread Man and The Gingerbread Girl.



One of our math journal prompts.


Which part did you bite first?  Pie graph.


Class story chart to compare and contrast the stories we read.


If you are interested in my complete Gingerbread Man unit you can click on the really blurry picture below!

FREEBIES and FUN  Click below.



We are working on our Gingerbread Man play.  We do this play every year and I can't even tell you how much fun it is.  The music and play was written by Heidi Butkus from Heidi songs.  Working on this play keeps my kids actively engaged and it keeps me from losing my sanity during this crazy time of year.  Parents from three years ago still mention how special this play was to them!  Do it!  You'll love it!

Here are some pictures of our props and costumes.  The oven and bridge were made by my local high school drama department.  They only charged me $85 for the cost of the supplies.  The oven is large enough for a child to fit inside.  They left the back open so that the child wouldn't be scared.  LOVE it!








SNEAK PEEK!  I am working, working, working on the Polar Express Unit.  
Here's a few  pictures  of activities that will be included in the unit.  I hope to have the unit finished by LATE tonight. 

Pajama Glyph  



Adorable Elf activity.  


P.S. Mrs. Jump's class now has a Facebook page!  Please Like it on Facebook.
Here's the link:

Have a GREAT week friends!




19 comments:

  1. These Gingerbread Man activities/ideas are great!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Kelli
    Tales from a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gingerbread unit! We used it last year, and the kids loved it. I'm heading over to TPT to pick up the updated version right now! Thanks!

    A Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sneak peek at the Polar Express unit has me drooling!
    2B Honey Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog makes me smile! I gave you the sunshine award!!!

    Sarah
    Kindergarten Korner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the play idea! If I ever teach kinder again, I am so doing that. :-) You must have some very helpful parents - the set/costumes are great! Even in first grade, The Gingerbread Man is a great story to practice retelling stories and learning story elements. I used it briefly this week, and posted about it on my blog. Thanks for the great ideas!

    Kendra at Light a Candle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! I just LOVE all of your ideas!! Heading over to get your gingerbread unit ASAP!! Thanks for all of your hard work!! :)

    Sara
    Kindergarten Is A Hoot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a Polar Express Unit on TPT ??? thanks, janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is by far the CUTEST unit I think I have ever seen!! Heading over to tPt now to purchase it. Thanks for sharing!!

    Have a happy week,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still working on the unit. I was hoping to have it finished by tonight but it might be tomorrow or Tuesday. Sorry y'all there is just so much good stuff I want to put in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for adding the glyph book Deanna! I have your unit already, but I will get the update. I did a different glyph in my class, but I think the glyph book is a great idea!
    Great photos! I really learn best with pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing...grat unit! Greetings from ITALY!
    http://teacherl2online.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great website for literacy resources for all grades! Please check it out. It’s not completely online yet, but will be soon!

    www.litdiet.org

    Youtube channel with how-to videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/balancedliteracydiet/


    Please spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deanna
    Love your Gingerbread Unit. I teach first but I can't wait to share the freebies with our kindergarten team. Especially the how to gingerbread house. I do a polar express unit, I'm excited to see what you have up your sleeve. I just posted a Happy New Year Literacy and Math Unit on TPT. It includes a very cute baby new year art project. I hope you can check it out.
    Happy Holidays
    Tammy
    primaryparadise.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am a first year teacher and follow your blog and all of your cute ideas! Your blog is VERY helpful :) Quick question- how do you make your cute little elf costumes for your Elf Lists? They look like they take FOREVER. Is there an easy way to do them? Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are BEYOND AMAZING!! Seriously! I am more and more impressed every day! I just listened to the Mr. Grinch song...ohmyword!!! I would love to visit your classroom just for a day! Thanks for the cute gingerbread man freebie! On the directions, is it supposed to say dice? I got a little confused!

    Thanks Deanna!!

    Hadar :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! :)I just found your blog and am your newest follower :) I am a speech pathologist, mama and blogger and I host a linky party, Thrifty Thursdays...to bring parents and educators together to share free or nearly free educational lessons and activities, I'd love for you to come check it out :) Link up if you'd like, or just browse the other great activity ideas!

    http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2011/12/thrifty-thursday-linky-party-2/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there!
    Wow, you are one busy teacher! Thank you so much for sharing!

    :) Liz

    http://sproutschool.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Deanna!
    I am blown away by your creativity! You were definitely born to be a teacher! I'm a first-year teacher and your blog and units have helped me tremendously with my Kindergarteners. Thank you so much for all your hard work! You're a true inspiration to teachers :)

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...