menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

Penguin Plans day 2


Hey Y'all!  Woo-hoo!  We survived another Monday!  I don't know what it is about Mondays that makes them so dang hard.  I love the excitement of introducing my littles to our new unit but I sure don't like having to roll my keaster  out of bed! {I tried to spell check keaster and it isn't recognized.  HMMM... I'm from Texas and it is definitely a word!}  Anyhow here are some of the things we did today and my lesson plans for tomorrow.  
We started the day by charting our schema for penguins.  The green sticky notes show our schema and the blue ones show our new learning that we added throughout the day.  As we learn about penguins some of our thinking gets moved to the misconceptions box and some of it gets additional information tagged on to it.  Oh, how I love Debbie Miller and her brilliance!  These charts came from an idea I adapted from her book, Teaching with Intention!  A MUST read!  

This chart will continue to change throughout the week.

One of our standards is, I can listen with purpose and understanding.  
So, after we read the book we discussed the new things we learned and did this reading response sheet that's in my penguin unit.  

We have been learning about the conventions of nonfiction and this unit will teach the littles how to write their own nonfiction book and include those conventions.  
Today we worked on the diagram page.


Here's my lesson plan for tomorrow.  You can click on it to download it.
This is how we will start our day tomorrow.  CHIT-CHAT was the name I came up with for my morning messages because it is always a review of what we've learned and it ALWAYS ends with a question for us to turn and "chit-chat" about!  This is a great way to teach and review important phonics skills, conventions and reading skills in a meaningful, authentic way.  {I have had a lot of requests to create a resource book for this type of activity and I'm going to be working on it soon.}


I like to have my kids actively engaged and involved while we are doing our Chit-Chat book so they each have their own version.  You can click on the picture below to snag a copy for yourself!

I hope you have a Terrific Tuesday!



24 comments:

  1. Can't wait to start our Penguin unit in a few weeks...love your unit!
    Vickie
    Mrs. Plant's Press

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved getting another peek at your day!
    I can't wait to see a resource related to "Chit Chat."
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blogs. We just started your penguin unit so it is nice following you along so that I have an idea of what I am doing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowsers! An 8 hour school day?! Do you teach in a public school? If I had another 2 hours in the day, we could get so much more done, but I'd be more exhausted than I am now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your lesson plans for the day. It is so helpful to see how you plan out your day and to see how others run a full day Kindergarten class. You sure do have a long day! I would be wiped out! We go from 8:20 to 3:20 and we have one of the longest days in our surrounding counties.

    I am starting your penguin unit tomorrow. I just finished your owl unit and the kids loved it! I have a class of 13 boys and 6 girls. So the more animals and non-fiction for the boys the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "chit chat". Sounds a lot more fun than morning message!

    2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quick question - I love how you have formatted your lesson plans - is there any way to download the template to where we can change it with our lesson plans - I tried recreating it and just can't get it down! I am trying out different templates now that our lesson plans are all on RENWEB - i still need them printed out for me! Thanks so much!! (Your penguin unit is awesome - 2nd year using it!)

    amycoates@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It"s great to see how your day goes. Thanks for sharing all of those great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing! I just started your polar animals unit. We charted our schema on walruses & added a few new learning notes. We'll do polar bears next, followed by penguins. Thank you for inspiring me to be a better teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs. Jump,
    THis is my first year back after staying home for a bit with my sweet babies. You make Kindergarten awesome! I have learned so much from your units as well as your feedback. I am trying to download and model your template too but an having a tough time. Thanks for sharing.

    Sincerely,
    Time2Teach

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing your lesson plans. It is so helpful to see how you do things. I'm also so thankful for you sharing your Schema and Chit-Chat charts! They are such wonderful teaching tools. You really are an inspiration to teachers!

    Kayla
    Primary Junction

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the penguin Chit Chat... it's perfect for tomorrows lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started your Penguin Unit yesterday with my Firsties. This is my second year to do it and I think their favorite activity is the blubber glove. We love doing your Science experiments. They keep bugging their Second Grade teachers about why their experiments aren't as fun. Enjoying a snow day (2nd one this year) in West Texas. Record Snowfall yesterday. Thanks for all your work and especially, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. luv the new ideas to use with my penguin unit. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your Chit Chat SO much I began calling my morning message the same last year. The kids LOVED it...especially saying it over and over again. I really like how much more interactive it is and ending with a question is BRILLIANT!! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    Laurie
    http://firstgradelyonsden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your plans and unit ideas. I am getting some new ideas for my classroom while reading them. I bought your Penguin unit and artic animals. Your are wonderful.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of a chit chat resource book. I can't wait to buy it after you make it. :)

    ♥Samantha
    Learning with a Happy Heart

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved reading your penguin ideas. I especially liked the use of schema and misconceptions on your chart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is there any chance you can send me your lesson plan in a word document? I love your template!!!!

    brianne dot osborne at rcstn dot net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your blog! I don't know how you have the time to do all this! I was wondering how you do your units/themes. Do you have a different theme every week? I was looking at your TPT store and you have so many units and I was wondering how you fit it all in!! Do you teach half day or full day? I'm teaching a half day kindergarten and it's sooo tough to squeeze everything in that I want to do.
    Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg! I cannot figure out the last line in your chit chat (fill in the blanks). Please help or email me mrsginasmith@aol.com
    p.s. LOVE ALL YOU DO!!!! Sending some aloha spirit from our kinder class in Maui, Hawaii!!!!
    ~gina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...