menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

Walruses Day 2 and Answers to your Burning Questions! :)

Common Core Standards Posters
and
Essential Questions


So.... many of you have asked, " How do you get your kids to write like that?"
So, here's your answer.  First of all,  I am totally in love with the Philosophy behind the Units of Study Writing program by Lucy Calkins.  It is so wonderful for explicitly showing you how to get your kids to write a variety of genres.   

Secondly, you will notice that the Common Core Standard (in the first picture) says, WE CAN PARTICIPATE IN SHARED RESEARCH AND WRITING PROJECTS.  So what this says to me is, I teach Kindergarten and my kids don't have to do it all alone.  I can be their guide as we learn this new genre of writing.  We have been writing since the first day of school using our pictures to tell a story and labeling even if that meant that some of them only wrote the beginning sound.  Then, we moved on to writing small moment stories about our lives and stretching and writing words.  This was a slow process.  But oh, my word!  The kids have made HUGE progress.   Nonfiction is a little bit tougher for them so I am glad that we can "share" the writing process and do it together.  So today we talked about our schema for walruses and read the nonfiction book from my unit.   We used our schema and new learning to brainstorm what we should write about.  The kids decided that the tusks were very important to a walrus so we decided that we would write about them.  We came up with, 
Walruses use their tusks for protection.  
They use them to climb up on the ice.
After we decided what we were going to write we got busy!  

So to start I wrote Tusks on the top line and they just copied it.  
Then I started writing our first sentence.  I wrote Walruses and again they copied it.
Then, I had them stretch the word use themselves and they wrote it all on their own.  I never even wrote it on the board because I wanted that to be their work not mine.  You can see that I then wrote their tusks for (normally I wouldn't have written the word for since it is a popcorn word but I knew we had a HUGE word coming up so I went ahead and wrote it).  Next, we had to write the word protection.  WHEW!   Can you believe it?  To do these big words we make it FUN!  We used a tambourine to clap out the syllables so that they could hear each part.  (I do not stretch it for them.  We clap the syllables and say pro tec  tion together and then they have a go at it).  
We followed the same sequence for the second sentence.  The only words I wrote for that sentence was They     them





Here is one of the student's writing samples.


 

Here's what one of their writing pieces looked like from our small moment study.
During this unit of study I don't help them write at all.  Unless I'm conferencing with them.
This student wrote
For Christmas I got a Koda Kumi wii game for Christmas. 


Whew!  Lots to conference on but still great for a Kindergarten cutie!  We worked on leaving finger spaces between our words.  I didn't have him erase all of his hard work and start over instead we practiced on a whiteboard.  Then, I wrote on the post it note, Today we worked on leaving finger spaces between our words.  I also keep conferring notes on each child but I don't have a picture.  I will post that for you along with a template tomorrow.  :)



Alrighty, that's that!  I hope I helped answer some of your questions.
Tomorrow I will answer the questions some of you had about centers and guided reading.


Click on the picture below to download tomorrow's lesson plans.

35 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I struggle with Writer's Workshop so reading your blog has inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! so glad I could help.

      Delete
  2. AS a newbie to blogs, one thing I really appreciate about reading yours is your mention of other educators that you find inspiring (Lucy Calkins, Debbie Miller, etc.). I teach in a district where the reading program is scripted and find it VERY limiting! I recently purchased your Common Core Standards posters on TpT, but don't recall seeing the Essential Questions. Where did they come from? Do you sell those as well? How do you use them in your instruction? Thanks for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meggan, I'm working on the Essential Questions. I hope to get them posted sometime in the near future. In our district we are required to have a standard and an Essential Question posted to guide our lessons.

      Delete
  3. Great Post Deanna! I love how you explained the way you help your students and what you expect them to try. They are doing so well because of it. I need to do more with writing small moments and sounding out words in writing. Lucy Calkins is so great! Sadly, I have so little time in a 1/2 day program, but it shall be on the "to do more" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could help! Once you start fitting writing in more your little ones will beg to do Writer's Workshop! :) For some of mine it is their favorite time of the day.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing! I have gleaned some inspiration that I am eager to implement in tomorrow's writing. Today's writing included cute little shadows following me around and a little too much whining for this teacher. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! The little ones tend to do that sometimes. Your visual made me laugh. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome ideas! I need to work on writing with my kiddos!!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you post pictures of you walrus craft? I would love to see your kiddos work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deanna, thank you again for your truly inspiring information. As we are about to begin our new school year in two weeks - where has the time gone? - I am inspired to concentrate further on developing writing in my Kindy classroom. =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ideas are so wonderful! I'm soo looking forward to getting this and many of your other units. I was wondering if you would be having any sales in your tpt store in the near future? Thank you for sharing your great ideas with us?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Just because you asked. :) I will put my store on sale tomorrow through Saturday for 20% off! Thanks a bunch!

      Delete
    2. Wow!! Thank you so much! I appreciate it tons!

      Delete
  10. You are such an inspiration! I wish I lived closer so I could come observe you for a day :)

    Jodi
    Fun In First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, You just hop in your car and come on! :)

      Delete
  11. Deanna, the units of study in writing was my fist gift from parents when I was a student teacher years ago. It was the BEST gift a teacher could get!! I recommend this strongly as a guide to writing! The Narrative Writing unit is one of my favorites to teach my first graders!

    Stacy
    Mrs. Johnson's First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You had some awesome parents! That is a great gift. :)

      Delete
  12. Wow that is so awesome! I can't wait to implement some of your writing techniques in my room! :)

    Sara
    Kindergarten Is A Hoot

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the examples. It's nice to know where other teachers are at, ya know? Your kiddos are great writers!!! Do you use handwriting lines ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sweet friend, NO!!! Isn't that terrible. Over the last 8 years it seems like handwriting has gone out the window since there is so much more stuff to focus on. Our 1st grades don't do handwriting and the kids in 3rd grade aren't taught how to write cursive anymore either. Kind of sad! :(

      Delete
  14. Deanna,
    You are so helpful to kindergarten teachers everywhere. I really appreciate all the time you put into answering questions, sharing lesson plans, and your units on TPT. I have learned so much from you. Thanks again for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just adore you and love your units! I think I own them all!!! I really love looking at your lesson plans~it is a great inspiration when I'm writing my own 10 page plan for the week! Thank you! YOU ROCK!!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so welcome! Thanks for being so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deanna,
    First, I want to say, you have such wonderful ideas. I love what you post on your TPT sight and your blogs. So, thank you for that. I love that you have started posting your daily lesson plans on your blog. But, as I was looking at it, I am amazed at how you get everything done. How do you manage that?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ometimes I don't! :) You will notice that I had to move my Reader's workshop lesson over to the next day because we spent a little extra time in Writer's workshop and didn't have time for the lesson. Some things take a little longer than I'd planned and vice versa. But for the most part I've got it down to a science. We play FUN music to get the kids to clean up quickly and get to the carpet. They don't want to miss the song so this makes them move pretty quick.

      Delete
    2. That is a great idea! I will try that. I have several fun Dr. Jean CD's that the kids love to sing and dance to. :) Thanks, it makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one who doesn't seem to get things "done" like I planned. I have really struggled with trying to get my schedule down and get everything in that I want to, like reader's and writer's workshop.

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Deanna! I love your EQs you showed! Do you have your Essential questions for sale on TpT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read through earlier posts and saw the answer!! :) I will def. be purchasing your EQs when you post them!

      Delete
  20. Thank you for your thorough information. I have been thinking of using Math Journals, but I have a limited time with my students because we are a dual immersion school. The time I figure that I could implement that would be first thing. I like how that transitions into Math tubs too. So, my question is, when do you correct your Math Journal?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this post! I am a kindergarten teacher in Minnesota, and we have been focusing on informational/non-fiction writing also, so your ideas are so helpful:)

    Thanks Again,
    Kelly
    "Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mrs. Jump
    First, I just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog!
    I find it so helpful. I am a student teacher and I am always blog stalking trying to make my lessons interesting and innovative!
    I was looking for your email on the website but couldn't find it so I am just writing on this post... hope you don't mind!
    A couple questions!
    First, is there a way to access OH SO SPOILED blog designs. I adore your blog design and would be interested in something similar but it says that it is invite only. Also,I was wondering if I could pick your brain about measurement ideas... do you have any good ideas for introducing volume?
    Sorry so many questions~


    Miss S
    jaanashingledecker24@gmail.com
    Just Teaching...Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just want to say thank you for all of your products. As a new teacher, a full time mom of three, and a full time accountant, I have a hard time getting all of the prep work done. I truly love to teach and love (and purchase) all of your products. I am trying to train my brain to your way of thinking/teaching. I am/have been having a hard time of getting everything that I want to accomplished to mesh in the day, so your lesson plan was very helpful. Do you have the arctic unit lesson plans to purchase?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...