Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Walruses, Literacy Centers and Guided Reading, oh, my!


We made these adorable walruses from my Arctic Animals unit today.  I love how they all turned out so unique.  Our penguins are still fishing on our bulletin board so the herd of walruses won't be hung up until next week when we use them to decorate our polar bears and walruses venn diagram.  I will post a pic next week when they are all hanging.  

So, I've had some questions about how I do Literacy Centers.
This is a picture of my Literacy Center board.  
The pirates on top match the groups.  For example,  I have 5 kids in the pirate group, 5 kids in the anchor group etc;
Each group goes to the centers below their icon each day.  The first row shows their "have to"  and the second row shows their fun center that they can go to when they finish.  



My classroom is Teeny-Tiny so there is no room to keep centers set up.  My centers are stored in the system shown below.  The group captain goes and gets the center drawer and takes it to the table where the group will work.  The ABC center always has activities that relate to phonics.  For example, this week we are doing an ot, op, og picture sort.  The kids sort the pictures into the appropriate group, glue them down and then stretch the words to write the sounds.  You can download a sample of them here. {The clipart for these is from djinkers and carson dellosa}.
Word Work usually always involves an activity from my Popcorn words units. 
and the other ones are usually "themed" centers (see lesson plans).
Writer's Workshop and Reader's Workshop are completely separate and aren't done during this time.  
My district requires them to have their own block of time.

I am working on a mini literacy center management resource that will be a FREEBIE.  It will include management ideas and icons, etc;  It should be available in the next few weeks.  


During this time I am pulling Guided Reading groups.  I just pull them from their center to come to me and then when I am finished with them they go back to their center activity.  I have a Guided Reading unit on TPT if you want to check it out.  It includes my word work activities, comprehension activities, and all of my planning sheets.  


These are some of my planning templates.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent! LOL


This running record form is printed two to a page and it allows me to do a quick running record on a child and then circle the strategies he or she is using well.  I think jot  a quick note about what we still need to work on.  This is also in my GR unit.  


Google docs is giving me fits with uploading right now!  Grrr!  I will have to post my lesson plans and the writing conferring sheet I promised tomorrow.  

Happy Thursday friends!



31 comments:

  1. Love this! I wish my first graders came from your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! You are such a sweet friend. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Deanna. You are so helpful! Do you have 25 kids in your class with an aide? I have 23 and am on my own! I teach full day/alternate day kindergarten so I actually have 43 students in total between the 2 classes. Thanks for answering my questions...makes it a little easier to plan for these 2 groups! When you can I would love to also hear about your math centre time. I can't wait for your Literacy Centre Management ideas ... I have your guided reading package and it's fAbUlOuS!!! :)

    Ѽ Alessia
    Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alessia. 43 kids? Mercy! I wouldn't even be able to keep their names straight. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the clarifications. I see on one of your plans that someone takes a group for remediation. Does that teacher take them during center time? I am a Title I teacher, and we are still working on a system when to work with my group of students without them missing any class time.
    Also, do the kiddos stay in just one center a day or do they rotate to a couple in one day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee ann, That was actually a parent volunteer who used to come and work with a group twice a week. I would love to have someone do that consistently. They go to both of the centers below their group. I also forgot to mention there is a 6th center that is just a free choice that anyone can go to after they finish their have to center.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post...as a 2nd year kindergarten teacher I struggle in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have struggled with this area at some point in our teaching lives. Hope this post helped a little. Be on the lookout for the freebie coming soon!

      Delete
  5. I love your Artic Animals unit. We have been studying about polar bears this week and my kiddos are loving your ideas. Thanks for all you do!

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! So glad you like it. :)

      Delete
  6. DO you have self-contained guided reading classes or do you switch with other teachers? We all move around, but I like that you are able to reinforce other items through your centers! Thanks for the ideas...I'll keep them in my back pocket for next year!


    Mary Beth
    Run Teacher, Run

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the walruses!!! Think I'll make these with my own girlies at home this weekend!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your room and you have given me LOTS of ideas! I have LOTS of Lips the Fish *freebies* if you want to come grab them.

    We also use Stretchy Snake. I taped sound boxes on the floor where they can also come hop and stretch it out and this has been AMAZING! I would LOVE for you to come take a peek! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Deanna, you are SO AWESOME! I have a question, when do you explain each activity that the kids have to do in the have to centers. I have tired planning 4 centers and week and explaining what they do in each center on Monday's but it is not working. The kids forget what they are supposed to do in the center, especially by the end of the week and then I have constant interruptions while trying to work in my small groups. Any suggestions or advice on how you make it work?

    Thanks!
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to email you a picture of my bulletin board when it's finished. Right now it has the walruses & next we're doing polar bears, so we'll add those. I love it & have already gotten lots of compliments! I can't thank you enough for inspiring me to be a better teacher. I love what we're learning & accomplishing, thanks in part to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are AmAzInG!! Love your lesson plans, and looking forward to seeing your literacy center management freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love the way you have your plans!!! I am going to use this format from now on!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your center storage idea.. I also have a teeny tiny classroom, so this would be perfect!

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why must you tell everyone that I have trouble with comprehension??????? lol


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how you have your management system with your centers, especially where you give them a "fun" center to do after they complete the assigned center.
    At some point I was wondering if you could discuss how you do the book bags at the end of the day. My last half hour where the buses are being called and the kids are in the room waiting to go is always a little chaotic and would love to try the book bag idea that you do at the end of the day. Thanks for all your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing your literacy center layout - you provided us with LOTS of good ideas! Thanks again!

    Lisa
    http://stories114.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Deanna! I am new to the teacher blogging (inspired by you and many other super-bloggers!) I am trying to upload some of my google docs to my blog for others to upload. How do you post yours with a sample image right in the post that leads to the link? I appreciate your help! I can't find answers anywhere when I googled it.

    Sarah :)

    http://theeagerteachers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. How long is this center time rotation? What do the kids do that come to you for Guided Reading and they don't finish the "have to"work from the literacy center? What is your aide doing during this time- the remedation group? Is there a set group that goes to her each day?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deanna,
    Can you explain more about the animals at the bottom of your Guided Reading lesson plans. I'm assuming "stretchy snake, chunky monkey, and fish lips" are ways to sound out words, etc.??? I would like to hear more about each animal icon and what they stand for! ;o) Thanks!!!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your walruses are adorable! I purchased your Guided Reading 101--it's gold! Thank you!
    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those Walruses are so cute bet the kids loved making those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought you might be interested in this site at http://www.free-guided-reading.com as it hosts lots of great books for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Deanna,
    Do you guys have a reading program at your school? How long do you have for centers? At our school we have Imagine IT! that we have to do and then we go to centers. As a second year teacher I feel like it is so hard to get them all in a center and to pull groups... Any Help?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deanna

    I have been searching your site for blend and digraph cards you once had posted. They were wonderful and wanted to download them. If you could help, that would be very much appreciated. You have inspired me and I truely appreciate it.

    Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amy, I was notified that they were similar to a program from www.thesecretstories.com so I removed them from my blog. Thanks! Deanna

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover