Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Zoo Unit Zebras


Aren't these zebras the cutest things ever?

This is a picture of our venn diagram about giraffes and zebras.

Our zebra information chart.


Chit-chat Charts from Tuesday and Wednesday.
I've received a few questions about how I do these so let me see if I can explain it.  

When the kids come to school the message skeleton is already written.  
We complete the message together as a class during our morning meeting.
This is almost always a review of what has previously been taught so that they have to use their schema to help fill in the chart.



Step 1:  We read the first sentence EXACTLY as it is written.  So before this was filled out completely our reading sounded like this,  "Giraffes       the      t   est   l    m    mal.  
Then, the kids help try to decode the message.  As we try out the words they say we ask ourselves,
Does that make sense? (based on our schema),   Does that sound right? (grammar),  
Does it look right? (phonics)  
This is a great way to get them used to using the Cueing systems when they read!  

At the beginning of the year these are much easier and we focus mainly on beginning sounds.  They start getting more difficult as the year progresses to meet the needs of my little sweeties.  
Hope that helped clear up any questions you had about them!  If not, leave a comment below and I'll have another go at it! 

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!  I really appreciate y'all!




20 comments:

  1. The Zebras are SOOO cute! I want to do them with my kinders!

    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining! That was helpful! Super cute unit!

    Melanie
    First Grade Brain Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I am definitely going to try to fit a Zoo Unit in next school year!

    Ѽ Alessia
    Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, the gifted teacher in me LOVES this activity! Great rigor, sweet friend, even in K!!!! Love! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I do have a question....do you have any examples of chit-chat charts from the beginning of the year? I am hoping to move to kindergarten next year ( I teach 4th right now) and I am trying to get an idea of things I can do at the beginning of the year. Thanks!
    ~Jada
    Daisy Days for Learning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deanna! You have helped me so much this year in Kinder. I am new to K and have loved your ideas oodles! We do a Chit Chat type message each morning called Buzz Book (bee themed classroom). I have utilized your ideas to help me enrich this time. Thank you again and again. :)

    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your chit chat charts. They make me smile! Thank you so much for all your great ideas. You are such an inspiration!

    I have given you an award on my blog. Please come on by and pick it up when you get a sec!

    Kim
    http://smartkindercookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This unit is REALLY cute and looks like fun! I hope to tie it in with my Foss Science Kit "Animals 2 by 2". Thanks for sharing your fun art, writing and science ideas!

    Kelly
    Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I definatly think they are cute zebras.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this great site! I preschool teacher. I have a blog related to the pre-school activities. If you visit will be very happy.

    http://birdunyazeynep.blogspot.com/

    I’II be very happy if you follow me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I purchased your zoo unit yesterday and I am most impressed. As a veteran teacher, I am always looking for new ideas and your unit was well written and compiled. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought this unit last year and did it with my class. I can say, this was one of my favorites of the year. The other ALL time favorites coming up are...INSECTS, ZOO, FARM, and DINOSAURS!!! They seriously ROCK!! My kids were so actively engaged during these units and they learned and grew as readers and writers, and of course, mathmaticians :) Thanks SO much for these fantastic units that have made my classroom a wonderful place to be the last few months of school!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have recently discovered your blog. I really like the chit chat ideas! It looks like a lot of fun and a good idea to introduce different lessons and modeling strategies. I really love the way you incorporate the different diagrams in your lessons! I am a French teacher in Montreal, Canada... and your blog is giving tons of new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deanna...love your chit chat charts for this zoo unit. We have an animal unit coming up in about a month...You have inspired me!

    Carrie
    ccteachfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of your units. I can't wait to use the Zoo Unit at the end of the year. Will you be presenting this year at Frog Street Press? Thanks for all you create for teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Zoo Unit and purchased it. I would like to know where the other pieces are for the monkey pattern? I'd love to create monkeys with my first graders next week.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover