Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Study Chapter 8

Chapter 8 is about noticing "precision and detail" in writing (illustrations).  Katie describes the way Bob Graham illustrated his characters with such detail that the "scenes seem authentic..."  Even the details of the mother in his book, Let's Get A Pup include the mother's tattoo and nose ring.  In this way Bob Graham included "memorable small and unusual details that readers would not necessarily know or even imagine."(p 132)



Katie states that being precise in the detail is the key.  Additionally, the selection of detail is important because it is not the quantity of the detail in the writing, but the quality.

I have selected this practically wordless version of The Lion & the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney.  This book is gor-ge-ous and it received the Caldecott Medal for the illustrations.  It is filled with illustrations that fit right into the study.
Without backtracking too much.  This illustration is a great example of Technique#2 -Crafting with Positioning Perspective

Technique # 13 Crafting Details of Expression and Gesture
and
Technique # 21 Crafting the Illustrations of Sound with Details

Technique #13 Crafting Details of Expression and Gesture
Technique # 21 Crafting the Illustrations of Sound with Details
Technique #20 Creating the Illusion of Motions with Detail.


Thank you Kathleen for hosting this week's chapter.  




P.S.  It's almost time for Vegas!  We have over 100 people signed up for the meet up.  If you haven't signed up yet it isn't too late!  See ya soon!

9 comments:

  1. I love Jerry's illustrations! Thanks for sharing.
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Have fun in Vegas. Wish I was going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful book. I wish I was going to Vegas for the meet up. Have fun!

    Sue

    The Very Busy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lion and the Mouse book is beautiful, thanks for sharing.
    What's hitting home with me in this chapter is that it's the specific details themselves that make the difference- the purpose behind putting the detail into the picture. It's amazing how one little detail can convey so much meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so wish I could be in Vegas with you all! If only Australia was closer! :) Have fun!!!

    Shanyn
    Coffee, Kids and Compulsive Lists

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! I just started my own blog:
    http://who-is-on-first.blogspot.com
    Please help me out, I don't know what I'm doing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your book study reflections. I have read them all along but I think it would be great to sit down one day and read them in succession!

    I'm hosting a link party today and would love if you would stop by. We're talking about favorite iPad/iPod apps in the classroom! Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was SO nice meeting you in Vegas! Thank you for being so supportive of me and the nice, encouraging words about my first time presenting! The blog meetup was AMAZING. Thanks again! Angie
    www.ilovekindergarten.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This illustrations is the favorite of the kids even those who are yet studying. They love to see different of pictures specially animal picture.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover