menu   Home About Me My Classroom My Products My Conferences  

In Pictures and In Words: Chapter 10 Tone

Chapter 10 is about Tone. You know the expression, "It's not what you say, it is how you say it."  Tone is an important part of composing. Katie Wood Ray says, "...tone refers to the overall blend and intensity of color, light, and shade in a picture, all of which evolve an emotional response."

She goes on to say, "When speaking, people use the tools of volume, pitch, gesture, and intonation to set the tone."  Illustrators and writers must be able to set the tone visually.

Carl's Nose is a funny story of a dog who has a nose for the trouble.   His village is at the base of an ominous mountain.  The villagers rely on Carl to alert them when dangerous weather is coming. However, the weather become uncharacteristically clear and sunny and Carl seems to question his value to the community.

This book is filled with great illustrative techniques, so I added some "flashbacks" from previous chapters.

Towering mountain and thunderous clouds... ohhh... shiver!

Clouds moving , nose sniffing

#4:  You can see the two sides of this physical space.
#34:  They background colors have an impact on the tone.   Happy outside... sad inside.
#36   His distance from the town's people sets the tone of isolation.

Doesn't the forest just look like danger is lurking?
This book is HIL-AR-I-OUS!
Why are dinosaurs extinct?  Dinosaurs Love Underpants will tell you.   

This next page says
"When T. rex saw Man's undies,
He roared with deafening rants,
"I don't want to eat you up,
I want your underpants!"




Now it is your turn.   Link up with your reflections from Chapter 10.  
One winner will be selected from the blog link ups and one winner will be selected from their reflective comments.


12 comments:

  1. As she has in every chapter, I love the way Katie Wood Ray links the illustration techniques in this chapter with writing techniques. Teaching about composition (whether illustration or writing) keeps the focus on the writer and not the writing piece. My goal is to build a writer's mindset in my students. I want the focus to be on communicating their thoughts.I think there will be rich discussions that come from the illustration studies and it will be very exciting to watch young writers' minds develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been such a joy to study picture books from the perspective of being a writer and of being a student of writing. Katie certainly wants us to instill an attitude of excitement when it comes to teaching writing. I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty fired up about getting started. I haven't seen Carl's Nose, but it looks like a winner. I like how you wrapped in earlier techniques...Very clever! Thanks for hosting!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree this study is exciting stuff. Being fired up is putting it mildly!

      Delete
  3. As usual, I was visiting your blog to see what goodies I could find and what do I see? You have time for a book study too?! I have got to steal some of your time management secrets. I'll be in the area daily through Monday. Let me know if we can meet up.
    Tesha
    teshapit2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this, but from your post I think I need to. I love sharing with student ways for them to use artistic ideas from illustrators. Thanks for sharing. Stop by my blog, I'm having a giveaway and I just git s new design tonight, I'm soooooo excited about it. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for giving your insights on chapter 10. I have recently started following all the posts on this particular book. I am looking forward to incorporating some of the ideas I have learned from the blogs this summer. Because of all the great work I have seen on blogs, I have been inspired to start my own blog.

    http://kindnesscountsinkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl's Nose looks like a great book! My students and I love Dinosaurs Wear Underpants. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl! Love your blog! If you ever find yourself in need for some new clipart for your units, PLEASE come and check out my blog and Etsy shop. I'm just getting started, but I'm adding new things every day. I will also take any requests that you may have.

    http://doodledarlin.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/DoodleDarlin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deanna,

    I am so inspired by your blog! I am a 1st year teacher and a new blogger. I will be teaching 3rd grade this year, but I find many great ideas from the posts you write as well. I would love it if you would stop by and check out my blog!

    Thank you,

    Hannah
    The Grade Three Jamboree

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you seen the bestpracticesweekly.com website? After watching the video about the importance of writing knowledge and seeing your blog, I am now swimming with new ideas! If you go to the website you need to click on the Access Published Editions tab (BTW it is free!) short videos from research based articles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post just made me cry! Dinosaurs Love Underpants is one of my favorite books. I spent most of the day cleaning out my classroom. There was a fire on Saturday night and my co-worker and I lost nearly everything we own, including Dinosaurs Love Underpants...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...