Sunday, December 30, 2012

Professional Growth


Thank you Amanda at One Extra Degree for hosting today's Linky!!!
Cute graphic courtesy of Miss Amy Lemons!

Today I'm linking up with Amanda to share some of my favorite professional development resources.
If you've followed my blog or attended one of my presentations then you know that I LOVE Debbie Miller.
Reading one of her books is so easy because if truly feels like you are having a conversation with an old friend.  Reading with Meaning is the first book I read by Debbie Miller and it changed the way I use Read Alouds in my room.  Instead of just reading a book for enjoyment and then putting it away we read it several times so that we can really DIG in and get to know the characters and plot in the book.
You can click on the book cover to read the reviews on Amazon.
This fits perfectly with Common Core.





Here are a few posts I've made that incorporate some of Debbie Miller's strategies.






Teaching with Intention is another book that is a must have for any teacher.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book.
You can click on the book cover to read the reviews on Amazon.
I really liked her idea for building on Prior Knowledge so I "tweaked"  her idea and 
my Schema Charts were born.
Here's a look at one of our schema charts.  




There are so many great resource books out there.
 If you have one that you love please tell me about it in the comments section!






6 comments:

  1. I read Reading With Meaning for my literacy class and it was so helpful. Debbie Miller's work is amazing. I love your schema chart! Too precious!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite teaching resources is Kid Writing by Eileen Feldgus and Isabell Cardonick. It's an easy and understandable text and best of all, so practical to use in every classroom! This book has really helped me focus on building my Language block this year!

    Ѽ Alessia
    Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books written by a former principal in my area, Matt Glover. He is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deanna and all the other K readers!
    thank you for this topic! I teach at a small private school, (I am the K team) so all my profess-dev comes from what i find for myself. we are trying to move our elem program toward a bal- lit approach. any advice on books, products, seminars that can help will be greatly appreciated! i have D Diller's books and saw her this summer-awesome! Am using Kidwriting- woohoo- i am fianlly doing something current! :) 1st gr is reading the D Miller comprehen book...any suggestions for Kinder bal lit prgrams? currently we use a HEAVY phonics program...i need some of all the other stuff, but am not sure where to start! thanks so much! anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deanna,

    Reading with Meaning is one of my favorite go to books! The second edition is being released on Amazon on January 1st for anyone interested:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the middle of How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character and it is amazing! It is full of studies - and I love a good study - about what is working and what isn't in helping children be successful. I love this book so much! I am bringing new ideas into my classroom every day based on what I am reading.

    Cate O'Donnell
    Mrs. O'Donnell's Room

    PS - I realize now that it looks like I totally copied your blog name, but I really didn't mean too :).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover